The Department of Public Instruction, also called as the Department of School Education is one of the largest and oldest departments of the state government. There are around 65 thousand schools, 2.5 lakh teachers and more than one crore children within the fold of this department. Sarva Shikshana Abhiyan is the joint initiative of GoI and GoK to achieve the goal of universalisation of elementary education in the state within a time frame. The DPI and SSA are jointly working to achieve the said goal.
The state of Karnataka has been considered as one of the front runner in the country by establishing large number of schools in the recent decades, so as to provide 100% access to primary education. and also reasonable access to high school education. Managing the administration of such a vast department with multifarious facets has been a real challenge. Collection, compilation and consolidation of data relating to schools, students and teachers in large numbers, falling under various categories such as; Pre Primary, Primary, Upper Primary, High Schools-Govt. Aided, un aided, recognized, unrecognized schools etc., and information relating enrolment, attendance, retention of students in different classes, of different age group, comprising different gender and social groups- has been a stupendous task.
Thanks to the advancement of technology and implementation of e-Governance imitative & it has become possible to streamline the administration of the department and can aim at providing better governance in the department, with accuracy, speed and transparency.
Further, e-technology has been widely in use in the department. With the help of Edusat Satellite facility, teleconferencing is being used to a large extent, to impart training to teachers and field level officers, apart from using this medium for periodical progress review. The department has its own studio and uplinking facility set up at DSERT Bangalore. There are receiving centers at all district and block headquarters, through which wide range of activities relating to educational schemes and programmes are telecast.
The use of e-Technology has been particularly applied in classroom transaction. To begin with, all the schools in Chamarajnagar district, 800 schools in Gulbarga and 18 schools of one cluster in HD Kote Taluk of Mysore district have been brought under the Edusat Project. Lessons pertaining to hard spots in various subjects are developed by experts and the same are telecast for the benefit of the children in these schools. These schools have been equipped with Television set and RoT equipments.
On the whole e-Governance is the process in which information and communication Technology (ICT) play an active and significant role. The benefits of e-governance in public administration have been put to wide ranging applications in delivery and improving standards of governance services in the department.
GOALS OF E-GOVERNANCE:
- To enhance the decision-making abilities of administrators by providing correct, consistent and comprehensive information in a time bound manner.
- To improve the quality of education by assisting teachers and students in using IT mode.
- To bring about a holistic development by reaching distant areas through more efficient modes of communication.
- To streamline the administration of the department through capacity building and enhancement of efficiency of the personnel.
SITUATION BEFORE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF E-GOVERNANCE PROJECTS :
- Letters received were, numbered and named, details recorded in registers manually & filed in new or existing files.
- Files were created manually and the same recorded in the registers.
- Even movement of letters and files & closed files were recorded manually in the register.
- Data pertaining to schools, teachers, children etc., were collected, compiled and consolidated manually.
- Monthly and quarterly reports of movement of the files and letters prepared manually.
- There were problems of inconsistency, incompatibility and time consuming process.
- Multiple sources of information, duplication in data collection.
- There was limited scope for wider dissemination of data.
- More dependence on pen and paper, resulted in inaccuracy in data
CHALLENGES FACED IN IMPLEMENTATION OF E-GOVERNANCE PROJECTS :
- Resistances in the employees to accept electronic system.
- Lack of computer operation knowledge, and management of hardware and network connection
- Unavailability of training facilities.
- Inhibition among officers and staff to use computers.
- Non availability of of IT infrastructure such as hardware, software and technical know how at the department level.
EXPECTED OUTCOME OF THE E-GOVERNANCE INITIATIVES :
- Quick and efficient & timely delivery of services to community / stakeholders.
- Improvement in the quality of services delivered.
- Ability to learn from experiences for improved delivery.
- Enhances the capabilities of department personnel.
As a first step towards e-Governance initiative, e-Governance unit has been set up in Department of Public instruction, with a view to strengthen the efficiency and service delivery system of the department.
- State e-Governance monitoring unit having 10 member trained team was established in the department to guide and monitor the e -Governance activities at different levels in the department.
- 234 e-governance units have been set up with 6 members each to implement the e-Governance projects at all the district and block level offices.
- Provided hardware and software to all district and block offices.
- Provided one Laptop to each of the district and block offices.
- Officials of e-Governance units at Block and District have been trained through Teleconference mode and also face to face mode.
- All district and block level offices have been connected with Internet.
- All officials of the department are insisted and encouraged to make use of e-mail for all official communications.
EMIS (Education Management Information System) :
EMIS is a systematic effort for collection, compilation, consolidation and updating of actual data pertaining to schools, teachers, students, and infrastructure facilities available. The EMIS project was initially began under DPEP and continued with funding from Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
EMIS System is a typically computer-based approach for collection and processing of data. Reports are generated to provide information to administrators at all levels who can use it for decision making, planning & implementation of programmes in the department in a systematic manner.
The activities under EMIS include data collection, processing of data into information, storage of data, and generation of output in the form management reports. EMIS has been made as Single Source of Information for all Education activities and at all levels in the department.
Once the project is stabilized the necessity of frequent collection of data from the field level can be reduced. It can be periodically updated with minimum efforts.
Web-enabled EMIS is the step ahead, wherein the data can be updated online.
Shikshanavahini is integrated software which comprise of Letter Monitoring System, File Monitoring System which supports office automation. Management of letters and files is the major task that is performed in any office. Receiving, recording, creation, transferring, disposal, keeping record of movement of letters and files. The LPO project has an objective, where files can be tracked more accurately, minimizing the loss of information and transparency and accountability can be improved.
- The software developed by NIC (National Informatics centre) is online and is customized to the needs of the dept by in-house programmers.
- 1 Data base server, 1 web server is maintained in O/O CPI and 1 more web server is co- located in NIC,Koramangala.
- Dedicated Leased line connectivity of 2 mbps from o/o CPI to Koramangala NIC is maintained.
- The tracking of letter/ file movement can be accessed online by a link in dept websiteby stakeholders. (http://www.schooleducation.kar.nic.in)-Shikshanavahini.
- Statistical report of pendency of letters and files, its movement can be generated. Reports for file in record room and disposal of files in record room are under preparation.
Implementation of LPO project.
Initially this project has been taken up and implemented in CPI office and State Project Office, SSA in 2006-07. Subsequently this project is implemented in 2 ACPI offices, 2 Joint directors Office, in all 34 District offices and 7 Block Offices in phased manner. Initiation is taken up the activity in remaining 197 Block offices.
Activities taken up
Major activities taken up in this regard were
- Providing infrastructure,
- Creation of master data,
- Regular updation of masters.
- Conducting training and refreshment training to all the employees of the implementing offices,
- Preparation of user manual
- Customization of less paper office.
- Development and maintenance of the dept websites is another major task taken up in the e-governance unit.
All the officers & staff members are expected to use Infrastructure and hardware provided to them for successful implementation of Shikshanavahini, DEIS , MMR online software, for official correspondence through e-mail, downloading information from website etc,.Offices are provided budget for Infrastructure- Upgrading electricity, LAN, procurement of Tables and Chairs.
Human Resource Management Service is a project initiated by the e-Governance Secretariat and DPAR. The project covers all the service particulars, of government officials, such as salary, leave, absence, suspension, transfer, promotion, disciplinary matters, etc.,
The project is being implemented on a pilot basis for the departments of Education and Health. Initially, Mysore and Dharwad districts are selected for this purpose. Department of Public Instruction is actively involved in the implementation of this project and extending all support.
Project is extended to all the districts offices of the dept covering all Government and aided Schools. Service details of all employees are entered in HRMS Software and monthly salary bills are generated by using this application.