- To declare the educational institutions run by the linguistic and religious minorities as “ Minority Institutions”(only Bangalore and Mysore Division)
- To conduct visits and periodical inspection of minority Language institutions.
- Collection and consolidation of statistics of minority language educational institutions.
- To identify educationally backward minority areas and provide educational facilities and to open new schools.
- To conduct orientation training courses for teachers of minority language schools for their professional advancement through DIET’s.
- Reimbursement of fees to Anglo Indian Students studying in I to 10th Standard and students of DEd. course.
- Conduct various cultural competitions to bring out hidden talent of the students studying in linguistic minority institutions.
- Co-ordinate with other agencies, institutions, corporations and NGO’s which are working in the field of education for minorities.
In addition to the above functions the following sections are also attached to this Directorate:
- Hindi and Arabic Schools, modernization of Arabic Madarasas – under Government of India (Centrally sponsored Scheme) SPQEM.
- Inclusive Education.
- School Development and monitoring Committees (SDMCs).
- Infrastructure Development for Minority Institutions (IDMI).
Declaration of Institutions as Minority Institutions:
Ever since the Directorate is established 516 educational institutions have been declared as “Minority Institutions”.