Inclusive Education of the Disabled at the Secondary Stage (IEDSS) :
The Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Integrated Education for the Disabled Children (revised 1992) is presently being implemented in States. The scheme was introduced with a view to providing educational opportunities for children with disabilities in general schools, to facilitate their retention in the school system. It provides for facilities to students with disabilities including expenses on books and stationery, expenses on uniforms, transport allowance, reader allowance, escort allowance, hostel accommodation and actual cost of equipment. The scheme also supports the appointment of special teachers, provision for resource rooms and removal of architectural barriers in schools.
The scheme includes two types of components viz :
- Student Oriented Components
- Identification and assessment of children with disabilities.
- Provision of Aids & Appliances.
- Access to learning materials.
- Provisions of facilities like transportation, hostel, scholarships etc.
- Stipends for girls students with disabilities.
- Development of teaching learning materials.
- External support from an interdisciplinary team of expert
Non-beneficiary oriented components
- Removal of architectural barrier.
- Training of special / general school teachers.
- Orientation of principals, educational administrators.
- Strengthening of training institutions and assistance to existing organizations / NGOs to develop teachers training programme.
- Provision of resource room and equipments.
- Appointment of Special Educators.
- Development of some existing schools as model schools.
- Administration, Research & Development and Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Environment Building Programme