SISLEP will work within the framework of RTE and promote all RTE activities.
Organize and conduct a variety of capacity – building programs for school/institutional heads and educational administrators at various levels in the areas of school Educational Planning, Management and Finance.
Organize capacity building program for development of Leadership among educational administrators for Decentralized Planning and Management of Education involving a variety of stakeholders from Zilla Panchayat to Gram Panchayat and SDMC levels.
Following Objectives have been set for the SISLEP.
(i) Organize and conduct need specific training programmes, workshops, seminars, panel – discussions symposium and conference for Policy Analysis, Program review, Monitoring and Evaluation of concerns of Education so as to provide guidance and direction to the state in Policy, Planning and Management of schools and education.
(ii) Organize workshops for analysis, review and feedback of EMIS / DISE / KSQAO / CSSC (census survey of school children) and similar educational data, continuous and comprehensive evaluation, constructive pedagogy, life skills and occasional education.
(iii)Assist the State Secretariat in preparation of annual and quin-quennial educational planning as well as project-specific perspective plans.
(iv)Develop capacities among educational planners and administrators for Research, Evaluation, Impact Studies, Comparative Analysis and Self-analysis of problems and concerns of Significance for the State Government.
(v) Engage in advocacy exercise through Documentation and Dissemination of case studies of educational practices / best school practices.
(vi) Facilitate the promotion of educational technology in schools and the school system (e- governance)
(vii)Act as liaison Institution between the MHRD, NUEPA, NCERT, IGNOU, IIM, ISAC, RIE, APF,AKSHARA FOUNDATION, UNIVERSITIES ** and other National and State level Institutions and the State Department of Education with regard to concerns of Capacity Building and Research in the areas of educational planning, management and finance.
(viii) The SISLEP should be a Clearing House of Ideas for the field officers (Educational Administrators) as well as the State of Knowledge and State of Art in regard to school leadership and educational planning, management and finance, in the areas of coverage and activity hereinafter provided.
The foregoing objectives shall be captured through the following functions :-
• Training Programmes
• Monitoring, Statistics and Surveys.
• Research and Evaluation.
• Extension and Dissemination.
• Networking with the function of other wings of the Department of Education.
• Liaison with National and International organizations as well as the credible Private Sector.
SISLEP shall function as an Autonomous Institution under Government of Karnataka.
The objectives of SISLEP would be to build an understanding and apply the same for the education system in the following areas-
1) Education Policy: Assist the state Government in policy planning and provide on going professional guidance to the state on issues of educational planning and management.
2) Organization structures and processes: Study existing organization structures and processes and suggest changes that would provide a conducive and enabling environment for Department officers and other stakeholders to contribute to education objectives. SISLEP would carry out studies for reform of the department or individual schemes and to assist the department in implementing the recommendations of such studies including those given by studies in the past, such as the Organization study conducted by Policy Planning Unit through PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
3) People development and processes: systematic development and capacity building of various positions in identified areas of leadership, managerial and administrative roles. This will also include local level capacity building and the developing of capacities of micro planning, participative processes, school improvement plans, among schools, SDMC and PRI members and leaders with the help of grass-root level education functionaries. Provide professional guidance to state on softer people processes to contribute to building a culture of service orientation, good governance practices, responsiveness and transparency. In a way the current capacity development work that is being carried out by the department under the IDF project under the facilitation of the PPU, can be seen as a precursor to the SISLEP activity in this area. SISLEP is required to develop programs, training material, and implement them in order to strengthen the people capacities of the department.
4) Research and evaluation: Carry out necessary research and evaluation of various aspects of education delivery system including effectiveness of various programs administered by the state. Without strong research base it would not be possible to design effective training programs. Educational Management is an area which requires continuous study and therefore research should be a basic function of SISLEP. SISLEP would need to tap the available expertise and body of research in this field.
5) Education Quality: The entire effort of the department needs to concentrate on quality of education system. Education quality is emerging as a critical area and SISLEP needs to concentrate on quality improvement through research, training and advocacy based on both.
6) Public Finance: provide guidance on costing of educational plans, mobilization and utilization of resources and also contributing developing necessary competencies among the educational leaders within the state to carry out these functions effectively.
7)Education Technology and Knowledge Management: Increasingly, management is relying on modern tools and technologies including IT to be able to respond and be proactive in an increasingly volatile environment. Use of IT will also enable to meet the challenges of scale and diversity within the sector. SISLEP will work towards building a culture of informed decision making and transparency within the education system.
Management of the institution: State Institute for School Leadership, Educational Planning and Management is registered as a Society under the provisions of the Karnataka Societies Act. Bye laws have been framed and accepted by the Government.
State Institute for School Leadership, Educational Planning and Management has been functioning as per the Act and bye laws framed.
SISLEP is governed by a Governing Council (GC) which has a deliberate wide representation from various stakeholders. The GC is responsible for the overall direction, strategy and philosophy of SISLEP. It drives the mandate and programs of the institution.
SISLEP has an ‘Executive Committee’ (EC) that oversees the regular operations of the institution. This is a smaller body, chaired by the Secretary (Primary and secondary) Education Department and comprising of the heads of Departments of Education and meet at least once in a quarter to review the plans and programs.
The SISLEP has an ‘Academic Council’ (AC) which provides for the programmes of the Institute, the content and methodology. In order to closely link the SISLEP with other institutions in the education system, the DPI DSERT, DPI Primary, DPI Secondary, SSA and RMSA director as well as two DIET Principals (by rotation) would be members of the Academic Council of SISLEP. The AC would be in the nature of a “Programme Advisory Council”, which would help in translating the overall mandate of the institution into programmes. The Academic Council must meet at least once in a quarter or as often as it is required. Academic here does not refer exclusively to the disciplines in education, but also includes the disciplines in management and in social sciences.
The suggested constitution of these three Councils is provided in Annexure I.